Where next for the JD.com share price following Hong Kong debut?
China’s second largest online retailer raked in nearly US$4 billion on its first day of public trading in Hong Kong.
China e-commerce company JD.com raised nearly US$4 billion on the first day of its public offering on the Hong Kong bourse.
On Thursday 18 June 2020, the second largest online retailer in China – behind only Alibaba Group Holding, saw its shares rise nearly 6% above its opening price of HK$239 (US$30.84) a share within minutes of being launched.
This makes JD.com the second largest flotation on the Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited this year. The largest listing this year belongs to the Beijing-Shanghai High Speed Railway, which brought in US$4.3 billion in January.
How does JD.com’s Hong Kong share sale rank next to recent flotations?
As at 12:00 HKT on Friday 19 June, JD.com’s Hong Kong shares are trading at HK$234 (US$30.20) per share – flat from launch day’s closing mark.
For comparison, the group’s American depository share (ADS) price opened and closed at US$60.79 on Thursday.
JD.com’s Hong Kong launch price also represents an upside of 53.4% from its debut offer rate of US$20.10 on the US stock market back in May 2014.
To further indicate where the company's starting valuation stands among recent IPOs, Alibaba’s Hong Kong offering last November raised some US$13 million, when over-allotment are also factored in.
This listing follows Chinese gaming firm NetEase’s listing last week, which raised a respectable US$2.7 billion. NetEase is the world’s second largest gaming company – behind only Tencent Holdings.
Where do analysts envision JD.com’s share price going next?
However, IG Australia market analyst Reo Liao on Friday remarked that Alibaba’s price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio at 38 points is much higher than JD.com’s P/E ratio of around 24. This indicates that the former’s stocks are either overvalued, or that the latter’s securities are underpriced.
While it is hard to make estimates in present kangaroo market conditions – on top of the fact that there are no prior price trends to refer to for the Hong Kong listing, Liao believes that it is precisely because of the firm’s P/E ratio that further upsides might be in store for the stock in the near-term.
He also cited the company’s fundamentals – operating and non-operating – as another determinant of the stock’s potential price rally.
Firstly, he noted that non-operating losses in the form of investment losses, which had dragged down Q1 net profits, should also decline as market conditions improve.
Next, he pointed out that the company’s sales figures for consumer discretionary products – non-essential items – should also increase in the second quarter ending June 2020, with lockdown restrictions now eased domestically.
What are the specifics of the Hong Kong public sale?
A total of 133 million shares were issued as part of this secondary sale – with 95% of shares reserved for overseas investors, and the remaining 5% going to Hong Kong residents.
The company had stated that it plans to pump the raised capital into improving supply chain technology and operating efficiency.
How to trade JD.com shares with IG
Are you feeling bullish or bearish on JD.com Inc (ADS) stocks? Either way you can buy (long) or sell (short) the asset using derivatives like CFDs offered on IG's world-class trading platform in a few easy steps:
This information has been prepared by IG, a trading name of IG Australia Pty Ltd. In addition to the disclaimer below, the material on this page does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. IG accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such is considered to be a marketing communication. Although we are not specifically constrained from dealing ahead of our recommendations we do not seek to take advantage of them before they are provided to our clients.
Seize a share opportunity today
Go long or short on thousands of international stocks.
- Increase your market exposure with leverage
- Get commission from just 0.08% on major global shares
- Trade CFDs straight into order books with direct market access
Live prices on most popular markets