Gold price: what’s the latest outlook amid Covid-19?
Gold has begun the week on a bullish note. Where do IG analysts see the commodity’s price going next?
Gold kicks off week on a high
Gold prices remained in bullish territory on Monday 13 July 2020, despite a brief dip in the earlier part of the session, as the number of Covid-19 cases kept rising over the weekend in parts of the world.
Gold contracts expiring in August 2020 are priced at US$1,814 each, based on the latest IG data. This represents an intraday increase of 0.5%, extending an uptrend that began last Saturday 11 July 2020.
IG's market analysis also show that 69% of client accounts with open positions in this market expect the price to rise, with the remaining 31% expecting the price to fall. 'Sells' also form 54% of all trades for the day so far.
The safe-haven commodity’s latest rally also came despite US markets closing on an optimistic note on Friday. The S&P 500 and Dow Jones Industrial Average each finished the day 1.05% and 1.44% higher.
Covid-19 infection rates keep up pace
On Sunday 12 July, over 190,000 new Covid-19 cases were recorded globally, with 58,439 and 29,108 infections notably reported in the US and India alone.
Brazil and South Africa also saw over 20,000 new cases each over the weekend.
Elsewhere, Australia’s Victoria state posted a seventh straight day of triple-digit new infections with 243 cases on Sunday. State capital Melbourne went into a six-week lockdown starting last Thursday 09 July.
Where next for the gold price?
Daily FX strategist Margaret Yang says that on a technical basis, gold prices have broken above an 'ascending triangle' that had been formed since end-March.
She added that the asset’s overall trend remains bullish as the 10-Day, 20-Day and 50-Day Simple Moving Averages (SMAs) ‘have formed a golden cross and are sloping upwards’.
‘Breaking out above the US$1,750 resistance has opened up room for more upside towards the next resistance at US$1,800 and then US$1,872 (161.8% Fibonacci extension),’ Yang concluded.
Meanwhile, IG market strategist Pan Jingyi noted that any short-term consolidation ‘should not be ruled out’, with the Covid-19 pandemic still deteriorating across the world, and ongoing US-China tensions still at play.
On Monday afternoon, China announced sanctions against US officials in response to the US’ sanctions against top Chinese officials over alleged human rights abuses in China’s Xinjiang province.
How to trade Gold with IG
Are you feeling bullish or bearish on Gold prices? Either way you can buy (long) or sell (short) the asset using derivatives like CFDs offered on IG's industry-leading trading platform in a few easy steps:
This information has been prepared by IG, a trading name of IG Markets Limited. In addition to the disclaimer below, the material on this page does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. IG accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such is considered to be a marketing communication. Although we are not specifically constrained from dealing ahead of our recommendations we do not seek to take advantage of them before they are provided to our clients.
React to global volatility
Market volatility continues as coronavirus concerns amplify. Trade with IG and take advantage of:
- Tight spreads – from just 1 point on major indices, and 2.8 on US crude
- Guaranteed stops – they’re free to use, and only incur a fee when triggered
- Round-the-clock assistance – our highly skilled team are available when you need support
Live prices on most popular markets