Once you’ve opened and funded a Share Trading account, you’ll be able to buy your first shares. Here’s a step-by-step guide to share dealing with us.
Finding your share
- Log into your IG account, then go to the 'finder' panel on the platform.
- Type in the name of your market, and select it when it appears.
- It will then appear in the ‘prices’ panel. From here you can view real-time price information, launch a chart, or open the deal ticket by clicking the market’s name.
- On the deal ticket, you’ll see two tabs: ‘at quote’ and ‘on exchange’. Trading at quote means that we’ll give you the best price from a range of market makers. Trading on exchange means interacting directly with the order book of the relevant exchange.
Placing an order - at quote
- To trade at quote, select whether you are buying or selling shares, and the quantity of shares you want to trade.
- Hit ‘get quote’, and we’ll give you the best price available.
- You’ll then have 15 second to confirm your deal. If the time expires, you can request a requote.
Placing an order – on exchange
- To trade on exchange, decide whether to buy or sell, and how many shares you want to trade.
- Select an order type. Hover over the ‘more info’ icon to learn more about each type of order.
- If you selected a limit order, you’ll have to specify the price at which you’d like us to deal.
- Click ‘place order’ to confirm your deal.
Monitoring and closing your position
- If your order is filled immediately, it will appear under ‘open positions’. If not, it will appear in ‘working orders’.
- To sell your shares, click on the market name in open positions. Select ‘sell’, then enter the amount of shares you’d like to sell and confirm the deal