How to buy Australian shares in the UK
You can invest in Australian shares with us, and enjoy access to the diversity of investment opportunities down under. Read our five-step plan on how you can buy and sell Australian shares from the UK, and how much it costs.
5 steps to buying Australian shares
Choose how you want to buy Australian stocks – investing or trading
Many people in the UK want to get exposure to the Australian share market, for the diversity of opportunity it offers. IG has made the process fast and cost effective: in most cases you can buy Australian shares directly with us, unlike many other foreign stocks which need to be dual-listed in the UK or US.
There are two ways to capitalise on the movements of Australian stocks – by investing in the stocks directly, or by trading Australian stocks using derivatives. Here’s a quick overview of each option:
Investing in Australian shares
When you invest in Australian stocks, you are buying shares outright at their full value with the intention of holding onto them for a period of time.
Why would I invest?
- You want to receive dividends or income from your investment
- You want to diversify your investment portfolio
- You want to access investment opportunities in another economy
- You plan to invest over a lengthy period, often several years
- You want to own shares outright in a particular company
- You want voting rights in the companies you invest in
Trading Australian shares
Trading Australian shares involves the use of derivative products such as spread bets or contracts for difference (CFDs). These products enable you to profit from the movement of Australian share prices without having to own any stock.
Why would I trade?
- You can open a position with a small initial deposit, called margin
- You can make a profit whether the stock’s value goes up or down
- You won’t need to pay tax on spread betting profits
- You can offset any CFD losses against profits, as a tax deduction
When trading on margin with leveraged products, it’s important to remember that your exposure is based on the full value of the position. So while this can lead to magnified profits, it can equally lead to magnified losses. It’s important that you fully understand the product before trading.
Open a shares account
With IG, you can choose between opening a share dealing account for investing, or a trading account for spread betting and CFDs – or both. Sign up easily using our web form or via our app. We’ll ask you a few questions about your experience and financial situation, and you could be trading within minutes.
Understand the charges to buy Australian shares
If you’re looking to invest in Australian stocks, then you’ll pay a minimum commission of A$10 to open a position. We’ll automatically convert your pounds into Australian dollars for just a 0.5% fee. There may be other charges, like custody fees, to consider.
How much does it cost to buy Australian shares from the UK?
If you’re investing by buying shares outright, you can see how competitive our prices are below:
|Australia standard commission||FX conversion fee|
|AJ Bell||£9.95||1.0% (on first £10,000)|
|Interactive Investor (Investor account)||£9.99 monthly fee (includes 1 trade p/m). £19.99 thereafter||1.5%|
|Hargreaves Lansdown||Does not offer Australian shares|
Data taken from competitor websites, correct at 15/03/2021
If you’re looking to trade derivatives on Australian shares with us, you’ll pay the same rates as for any of our share markets. There are no commission charges on spread bets, as instead you’ll pay the spread which is wrapped around the market price. We do charge a low commission on CFD share trades, however.
Buy Australian stocks
You can buy Australian shares directly with a share dealing account, or alternatively you might choose to trade on the prices of Australian shares with spread bets and CFDs. Here’s how to get started on each type of account.
Buying Australian shares with a share dealing account
Trading on Australian with a spread betting or CFD account
Buying Australian shares summed up
- You can invest in or trade on Australian shares if you’re interested in the Australian market
- Open a CFD or spread betting account with us to trade on share prices, or open a share dealing account to buy the stock outright
- Charges on buying Australian shares with us start from a minimum of A$10
- There are many popular and well-performing stocks in the Australian market to choose from
- You can buy or trade shares in a number of Australian companies, including BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto, and ANZ Banking Group
Publication date :
This information has been prepared by IG, a trading name of IG Markets Limited. In addition to the disclaimer below, the material on this page does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. IG accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such is considered to be a marketing communication. Although we are not specifically constrained from dealing ahead of our recommendations we do not seek to take advantage of them before they are provided to our clients. See full non-independent research disclaimer and quarterly summary.
Act on share opportunities today
Go long or short on thousands of international stocks with spread bets and CFDs.
- Get full exposure for a comparatively small deposit
- Trade on spreads from just 0.1%
- Get greater order book visibility with direct market access
See opportunity on a stock?
Try a risk-free trade in your demo account, and see whether you’re on to something.
- Log in to your demo
- Take your position
- See whether your hunch pays off
See opportunity on a stock?
Don’t miss your chance – upgrade to a live account to take advantage.
- Trade a huge range of popular stocks
- Analyse and deal seamlessly on fast, intuitive charts
- See and react to breaking news in-platform
See opportunity on a stock?
Don’t miss your chance. Log in to take advantage while conditions prevail.
You might be interested in…
Find out what charges your trades could incur with our transparent fee structure.
Discover why so many clients choose us, and what makes us a world-leading provider of spread betting and CFDs.
Stay on top of upcoming market-moving events with our customisable economic calendar.