Spread bets and CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 76% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading spread bets and CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how spread bets and CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Spread bets and CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 76% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading spread bets and CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how spread bets and CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.

European Central Bank to deliver first rate hike since 2011

The European Central Bank (ECB) is set to meet this Thursday.

Anticipated rate hike the first since 2011

The highly anticipated interest rate hike from the European Central Bank (ECB) is set to be delivered this Thursday.

ECB president, Christine Lagarde, and her team of policy setters have long hinted that the July meeting would be the one at which policy tightening would really begin. Markets are fully convinced that this time is the right one, and the expectations are getting more hawkish by the day.

Yesterday, 34 basis points (bps) were being priced in; a 57% chance of a 30bps hike, and 43% chance of 40bps. Today, it has gone up to 41 bps; 87% chance of 40bps, and 13% chance of 50bps. This may leave the door open for some disappointment if the ECB doesn’t live up to the expectations.

Like the Bank of England (BoE), the ECB may decide it is more appropriate to take it step by step, ensuring the economy can withstand higher interest rates before jumping in the deep end.

Regardless of their choice, it’s a tricky time to try and understand how markets will react to the news. On the one hand, inflation is seen as the greater of two evils at present, and the bank must act to combat soaring prices. If this is the market’s view, then the greater the hike the more bullish for the euro. But if both slowing growth and high inflation are seen as a danger to the Eurozone economies, then a steadier and gradual hiking schedule is likely to be favoured.

EUR/USD

A pair to watch closely on the back of the meeting is EUR/USD, which has been attracting increased attention in the last week as it briefly touched parity for the first time since December 2002.

So far, this psychological level has acted as good support and the pair is picking up a little upside momentum, but, fundamentally, there is still weakness in the euro versus the dollar, and Thursday’s meeting will play a big part in that.

Energy crisis and anti-fragmentation policy

Other central banks around the world have already delivered at least three hikes since the ultra-low rates brought on from the Covid-19 pandemic, but the ECB has been faced with the energy crisis from its over-dependence on Russia, causing soaring prices and making the threat of recession even more real.

Even now, the possibility of a total Russia gas shut-off makes the policy decision for the ECB an even harder balancing act than usual. But not only is the threat of recession a major danger for the Eurozone economy, the central bank also has to deal with fragmentation between the 19 member states.

It must keep inflation close to the 2% target, but it must also be careful that its policy decisions don’t cause the spread in sovereign bond yields to widen drastically, which causes borrowing costs in some regions to be far higher than in others, having a different effect on the economies within the bloc.

To avoid doing so, the ECB is expected to launch a anti-fragmentation tool at its meeting on Thursday, some sort of new bond-buying programme to avoid a large divergence in yields. But it is unclear exactly how this tool will be implemented, and most importantly, how is it going to work alongside tightening policy.

At the emergency meeting the governing council had last month, Lagarde said the anti-fragmentation tool would be rolled out regardless of the level of interest rates, leading to believe both policy tools will be separate, but investors are likely going to want more details as to how exactly this will happen, and the pressure will be on Lagarde to clear up these questions at the press conference on Thursday.

This information has been prepared by IG, a trading name of IG Markets Limited. In addition to the disclaimer below, the material on this page does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. IG accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such is considered to be a marketing communication. Although we are not specifically constrained from dealing ahead of our recommendations we do not seek to take advantage of them before they are provided to our clients. See full non-independent research disclaimer and quarterly summary.

Start trading forex today

Find opportunity on the world’s most-traded – and most-volatile – financial market.

  • Trade spreads from just 0.6 points on EUR/USD
  • Analyse with clear, fast charts
  • Speculate wherever you are with our intuitive mobile apps

See an FX opportunity?

Try a risk-free trade in your demo account, and see whether you’re onto something.

  • Log in to your demo
  • Take your position
  • See whether your hunch pays off

See an FX opportunity?

Don’t miss your chance – upgrade to a live account to take advantage.

  • Get spreads from just 0.6 points on popular pairs
  • Analyse and deal seamlessly on fast, intuitive charts
  • See and react to breaking news in-platform

See an FX opportunity?

Don’t miss your chance. Log in to take your position.

Live prices on most popular markets

  • Equities
  • Indices
  • Forex
  • Commodities
website terms and agreements. Prices are indicative only. All share prices are delayed by at least 15 minutes.

" edit-mode="false"> liveprices.javascriptrequired


Prices above are subject to our website terms and agreements. Prices are indicative only. All share prices are delayed by at least 15 minutes.

liveprices.javascriptrequired
liveprices.javascriptrequired
liveprices.javascriptrequired

Prices above are subject to our website terms and agreements. Prices are indicative only. All shares prices are delayed by at least 15 mins.

Plan your trading week

Get the week’s market-moving news sent directly to your inbox every Sunday. The Week Ahead gives you a full calendar of upcoming economic events, as well as commentary from our expert analysts on the key markets to watch.


For more info on how we might use your data, see our privacy notice and access policy and privacy webpage.

You might be interested in…

Find out what charges your trades could incur with our transparent fee structure.

Discover why so many clients choose us, and what makes us a world-leading provider of spread betting and CFDs.

Stay on top of upcoming market-moving events with our customisable economic calendar.