Euro price outlook: EUR/USD battle lines drawn
Euro’s recent recovery off fresh yearly lows is now testing the first major resistance hurdle. Here are the levels that matter on the EUR/USD weekly chart.
EUR/USD IG client sentiment talking points
- Euro recovery faces first test of resistance at former support – trade levels well-defined
- Looking for support ahead of $1.1107 for long bias to remain viable
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30 (UK GMT)
EUR/USD snapped a three-week losing streak with the single currency recovering back towards a key inflection slope – a pullback from this level will be the tell of whether this recovery has legs or was simply a relief rally. These are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the EUR/USD weekly price chart.
Euro price chart - EUR/USD weekly
In late July, the euro broke below the lower parallel of a long-standing ascending pitchfork formation we’ve been tracking for years now. The break responded sharply at yearly channel support last week with the rally failing this week at this same slope (former support now resistance) – the battle lines are drawn for the euro.
A topside breach/close above the 61.8% retracement of the June decline at $1.1265 is needed to suggest that a more significant low is in place with such a scenario targeting the high-week close/channel resistance at $1.1370. Initial weekly support rests with the May low/yearly low-week close at $1.1106, a break below this threshold could see steep losses for the single currency with subsequent support see a at the trendline confluence around $1.0940.
The euro recovery is now testing initial resistance at former support – it’s make or break here. From a trading standpoint, we’ll favour fading weakness for now above $1.1106, with a breach above $1.1265 needed to keep the long bias going.
Euro trader sentiment – EUR/USD
- A summary of IG client sentiment shows traders are net-long EUR/USD - the ratio stands at +1.08 (52% of traders are long) – neutral reading
- Traders have remained net-long since 1 July, with the price moving 1.4% lower since then
- The percentage of traders net-long is now its lowest since 28 June
- Long positions are 6% lower than yesterday and 32% lower from last week
- Short positions are 7.5% higher than yesterday and 43% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests EUR/USD prices may continue to fall. Yet traders are less net-long than yesterday and compared with last week. Recent changes in sentiment warn that the current EUR/USD price trend may soon reverse higher despite the fact traders remain net-long
This information has been prepared by IG, a trading name of IG Markets Limited. In addition to the disclaimer below, the material on this page does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. IG accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such is considered to be a marketing communication. Although we are not specifically constrained from dealing ahead of our recommendations we do not seek to take advantage of them before they are provided to our clients. See full non-independent research disclaimer and quarterly summary.
Start trading forex today
Find opportunity on the world’s most-traded – and most-volatile – financial market.
- Trade spreads from just 0.6 points on EUR/USD
- Analyse with clear, fast charts
- Speculate wherever you are with our intuitive mobile apps
See an FX opportunity?
Try a risk-free trade in your demo account, and see whether you’re onto something.
- Log in to your demo
- Take your position
- See whether your hunch pays off
See an FX opportunity?
Don’t miss your chance – upgrade to a live account to take advantage.
- Get spreads from just 0.6 points on popular pairs
- Analyse and deal seamlessly on fast, intuitive charts
- See and react to breaking news in-platform
See an FX opportunity?
Don’t miss your chance. Log in to take your position.
Live prices on most popular markets
You might be interested in…
Find out what charges your trades could incur with our transparent fee structure.
Discover why so many clients choose us, and what makes us a world-leading provider of spread betting and CFDs.
Stay on top of upcoming market-moving events with our customisable economic calendar.