How to buy European shares in the UK
Investors are spoilt for choice when it comes to opportunities in the European stock market. Follow our five-step plan to get started and discover some of the most popular European shares available, including their costs.
How to buy European stocks
Most of the time, you can buy European shares directly, unlike many other foreign stocks which need to be dual-listed in the UK or US.
With IG, you can speculate on the price movement of the stock using derivatives. Here’s a quick overview of each option:
Investing in European shares
Investing in European shares involves buying the shares outright by putting up the full value of the position.
Why would I invest?
- You want to enjoy dividends
- You plan to invest over the long term
- You want to own shares outright
- You want voting rights in the companies you invest in
Trading European shares
Why would I trade?
- You can open a position with just a small initial deposit called margin
- You can make a profit whether the stock’s value goes up or down
- You can choose to go long or short in different market conditions
- CFDs can be used to hedge your porfolio
Understand the charges to buy European shares
If you’re looking to trade in European stocks, then you’ll pay a minimum commission of €10 to open a position. There may be other charges, like funding cost, to consider.
How much does it cost to buy European shares on IG?
|Commission per trade||Minimum charge online||Minimum charge phone|
Buying Finnish shares: what you need to know
- We provide access to Finnish shares listed on the Nasdaq Helsinki stock exchange
- Finnish stocks you might consider include telecommunications giant Nokia, renewable energy supplier Neste and elevator company Kone
- Take a position on Finnish stocks with a CFD account
Buying French shares: what you need to know
- If you’re interested in French companies, we offer trading on stocks listed on the Euronext Paris stock exchange
- There are a number of popular French shares to choose from, including automobile manufacturer Renault, oil and gas giant Total, food company Danone, cosmetics company L'Oréal and public relations agency Publicis Groupe
- French shares can be accessed with CFDs
Buying Greek shares: what you need to know
- If you’re interested in exploring the Greek stock market, we offer trading on shares listed on the Athens Stock Exchange
- Well-known Greek shares you can buy include the Hellenic Telecommunications Organization, the retailer Jumbo, Aegean Airlines and Alpha Bank
- You can trade them using CFDs
Buying Norwegian shares: what you need to know
- Trade Norwegian shares listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange
- Norway is home to many large public companies. You could look at energy giant Equinor, telecommunications company Telenor and financial services firm DNB
- You can trade Norwegian shares with a CFD account
Buying Portuguese shares: what you need to know
- You can trade shares listed on the Euronext Lisbon stock exchange
- We offer shares on a number of major Portuguese companies, including renewable energy provider EDP Renovaveis, natural gas distributor Galp Energia, catering company Ibersol and multi-industry holding company Sonae Capital
- You can buy Portuguese shares with CFDs.
Buying Spanish shares: what you need to know
- If you’re interested in the Spanish stock market, we offer shares listed on the Madrid Stock Exchange
- Some of Spain’s biggest companies are power provider Iberdrola, fashion retailer Inditex, financial services company Santander and telecommunications operator Telefonica
- You can still make a profit by correctly predicting their price movements with CFDs
Buying Swedish shares: what you need to know
- We offer trading on Swedish shares listed on the Nasdaq Stockholm exchange
- Swedbank, AstraZeneca, Ericsson and Volvo are just some of the blue-chip shares you could consider trading
- You can take long and short positions on Swedish companies using derivatives like CFDs
Buying Swiss shares: what you need to know
- If any Swiss companies have caught your attention, you can trade shares in those that are listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange
- Well-known Swiss companies include food conglomerate Nestlé, drug makers Novartis and Roche, insurer Zurich and luxury goods company Richemont
- You can speculate on the share price of Swiss stocks with CFDs
Buying European shares summed up
- You can trade European shares if you’re interested in the Euro market
- Open a shares trading account with IG which allows you to trade derivatives
- Charges on buying European shares start from a minimum of €10
- There are many popular and well-performing stocks in European markets to choose from
- You can buy or trade shares in a number of European markets, including Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland
Publication date :
This information has been prepared by IG, a trading name of IG Markets Limited. In addition to the disclaimer below, the material on this page does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. IG accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such is considered to be a marketing communication. Although we are not specifically constrained from dealing ahead of our recommendations we do not seek to take advantage of them before they are provided to our clients.
Explore the markets with our free course
Discover the range of markets you can trade on - and learn how they work - with IG Academy's online course.
Turn knowledge into success
Practice makes perfect. Take what you’ve learned in this shares strategy article, and try it out risk-free in your demo account.
Ready to trade shares?
Put the lessons in this article to use in a live account. Upgrading is quick and simple.
- Trade over 12,000 popular global stocks
- Protect your capital with risk management tools
- Deal on 70 key US stocks out-of-hours, so you can react to news
Inspired to trade?
Put the knowledge you’ve gained from this article into practice. Log in to your account now.