Will Nvidia cross US$500 billion market cap this year?
Bank of America analysts say Nvidia could see sales grow in double digits over the next three financial years.
Why is Nvidia’s share price rising again?
Nvidia Corp (NYSE: NVDA), the largest chipmaker in the US by market cap, saw its share price surge 4.5% last Friday 21 August 202.
This latest rally followed the release of the semiconductor company’s Q2 earnings on Wednesday 19 August 2020, in which actual results comfortably exceeded Wall Street estimates.
The company posted a ‘record’ revenue of US$3.87 billion – up 50% year-on-year, and higher than analyst projections of US$3.655 billion.
What does a better-than-expected Q2 mean for the Nvidia stock?
Following the earnings, Bank of America analysts raised their price targets on the Nvidia stock to US$600 from US$520, while reiterating their ‘buy’ rating.
This represents an upside of 17% from Friday 24 August’s closing price of US$513.49 a share.
In their note, the analysts also made an outlandishly bullish prediction, stating that Nvidia will reach a US$500 billion market cap, based on various growth scenarios.
‘Bigger picture, we believe NVDA has an unassailable hardware/software/developer lead in some of the largest and fastest growing markets in semis/tech,’ the researchers wrote.
As such, they raised their profit forecasts for the firm’s 2020, 2021 and 2022 fiscal years by 10%, 14% and 11% respectively.
Despite the optimistic outlook, the brokers did caution that the ‘lumpy’ data centre business, alongside a worsening of US-China trade tensions, also means Nvidia’s path to a half-trillion valuation is not without its challenges.
Meanwhile, Deutsche Bank (DB) is the most bearish of the latest analyst ratings, giving the stock a price target of US$450 and ‘hold’ rating.
DB analysts wrote that while positive fundamental momentum is expected from the Q2 results, they believe that ‘much of this goodness is already reflected’ in NVDA’s share price.
Feeling bullish about the Nvidia stock?
Nvidia’s Q3 guidance: sales to increase 47%
In its Q2 report, Nvidia also provided the following outlook for the third quarter of fiscal 2021:
- Revenue is expected to be US$4.4 billion, plus or minus 2%. (This represents a 46.6% increase from Q3 2019’s reported sales of US$3 billion)
- GAAP (industry standard) and non-GAAP (company adjusted) gross margins are expected to be 62.5% and 65.5%, respectively, plus or minus 50 basis points.
- GAAP and non-GAAP operating expenses are expected to be approximately US$1.54 billion and US$1.09 billion, respectively.
- GAAP and non-GAAP other income and expense are both expected to be an expense of approximately US$55 million.
- GAAP and non-GAAP tax rates are both expected to be 8%, plus or minus 1%, excluding any discrete items. GAAP discrete items include excess tax benefits or deficiencies related to stock-based compensation, which are expected to generate variability on a quarter by quarter basis.
How to trade Nvidia with IG
Are you feeling bullish or bearish on Nvidia shares? Either way you can buy (long) or sell (short) the asset using derivatives like CFDs offered on IG's industry-leading trading platform in a few easy steps:
IGA, may distribute information/research produced by its respective foreign affiliates within the IG Group of companies pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the research is distributed in Singapore to a person who is not an Accredited Investor, Expert Investor or an Institutional Investor, IGA accepts legal responsibility for the contents of the report to such persons only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact IGA at 6390 5118 for matters arising from, or in connection with the information distributed.
The information/research herein is prepared by IG Asia Pte Ltd (IGA) and its foreign affiliated companies (collectively known as the IG Group) and is intended for general circulation only. It does not take into account the specific investment objectives, financial situation, or particular needs of any particular person. You should take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation, and particular needs before making a commitment to trade, including seeking advice from an independent financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment, under a separate engagement, as you deem fit.
Please see important Research Disclaimer.
React to global volatility
Market volatility continues as coronavirus concerns amplify. Trade with IG and take advantage of:
- Tight spreads – from just 1 point on major indices, and 2.8 on US crude
- Guaranteed stops – they’re free to use, and only incur a fee when triggered
- Round-the-clock assistance – our highly skilled team are available when you need support
Live prices on most popular markets
Prices above are subject to our website terms and agreements. Prices are indicative only. All shares prices are delayed by at least 15 mins.