Where next for Zoom stock after jumping 44% post-earnings?
Zoom’s better-than-expected Q2 earnings has prompted the company to raise its full-year guidance for fiscal 2020 by over 30%.
Zoom Video Communications' (NASDAQ: ZM) share price opened 44% higher after the company reported its Q2 financial results on Tuesday 01 September 2020.
Shares smashed through a previous high to peak at US$478 on an intraday basis, before closing the day at US$457.63 a share on the IG platform.
IG's client analysis shows that 73% of all opened positions on Zoom are currently 'long', indicating an expectation for price to increase.
Highlights from Zoom’s Q2 earnings
Here are some things that stood out in the video communication tool’s second quarter results for the three months ended 31 July 2020:
- Revenue: Total revenue for the quarter was US$663.5 million, up 355% year-over-year.
- Unadjusted net income and net income (earnings) per share: GAAP net income attributable to common stockholders for the quarter was US$185.7 million, or US$0.63 per share, compared to GAAP net income attributable to common stockholders of US$5.5 million, or US$0.02 per share in Q2 fiscal 2020.
- Adjusted net income and net income per share: Non-GAAP net income for the quarter was US$274.8 million, while non-GAAP net income per share came in at US$0.92. This surpassed Refinitiv analyst estimates of US$0.45.
- Cash Flow: Net cash provided by operating activities was US$401.3 million for the quarter, compared to US$31.2 million in the second quarter of fiscal year 2020. Free cash flow was US$373.4 million, compared to US$17.1 million in the second quarter of fiscal year 2020.
- Customer Metrics: At the end of Q2 2021, Zoom had approximately 370,200 customers with more than 10 employees, up roughly 458% from the same quarter last fiscal year.
Ready to buy and sell Zoom stock?
What do these results mean for Zoom’s stock outlook?
Zoom’s revenue for this quarter exceeded Wall Street estimates of US$500.5 million by 33%, while earnings per share also smashed analyst expectations by a massive 104%.
These impressive results have also prompted the company to raise its guidance for the full 2021 fiscal year.
The company stated that total revenue for the year is now expected to be between
Meanwhile, non-GAAP diluted earnings per share (EPS) is expected to be between US$2.40 and US$2.47, up from US$1.21 to US$1.29 previously. This figure also surpasses even the highest analyst full-year estimate of US$1.60 per share.
In terms of Zoom’s share price, IG UK chief market analyst Chris Beauchamp wrote that ‘there is no sign that a more bearish turn is near’.
‘The most recent dip below the 50-day Simple Moving Average (US$263) was met by strong buying which gave the price the energy to rally to a new record by the end of August. This puts sellers on notice that any reversal will need to clear the August low at US$229 to provide any real near-term bearish outlook,’ he added.
How to trade Zoom with IG
Are you feeling bullish or bearish on the Zoom stock? Either way you can buy (long) or sell (short) the asset using derivatives like CFDs offered on IG's industry-leading trading platform in a few easy steps:
IGA, may distribute information/research produced by its respective foreign affiliates within the IG Group of companies pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the research is distributed in Singapore to a person who is not an Accredited Investor, Expert Investor or an Institutional Investor, IGA accepts legal responsibility for the contents of the report to such persons only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact IGA at 6390 5118 for matters arising from, or in connection with the information distributed.
The information/research herein is prepared by IG Asia Pte Ltd (IGA) and its foreign affiliated companies (collectively known as the IG Group) and is intended for general circulation only. It does not take into account the specific investment objectives, financial situation, or particular needs of any particular person. You should take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation, and particular needs before making a commitment to trade, including seeking advice from an independent financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment, under a separate engagement, as you deem fit.
Please see important Research Disclaimer.
Seize a share opportunity today
Go long or short on thousands of international stocks.
- Increase your market exposure with leverage
- Get spreads from just 0.1% on major global shares
- Trade CFDs straight into order books with direct market access
Live prices on most popular markets
Prices above are subject to our website terms and agreements. Prices are indicative only. All shares prices are delayed by at least 15 mins.