ASX 200 afternoon report: 22nd of March 2023
Find out all the latest information on the ASX 200 market. Updated as of 22nd of March, 2.30pm AEDT.
The ASX 200 trades 55 points higher (0.79%) at 7010 at 2.30pm.
The Australian stock market is enjoying its best day since Mid-January as fears over banking contagion ease ahead of tomorrow morning’s FOMC meeting.
Reports yesterday that US officials are looking at ways to expand the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation cover to all deposits if needed appears to have extinguished one of the last remaining banking bushfires after Silicon Investment Bank failed some 12 days ago.
Consumer lending outfit Latitude Financial, the subject of a recent cyber-attack, plunged to a fresh crisis low of $1.01 after confirming it had found further evidence of “large-scale” data theft. Its share price has since steadied to be trading 6.22% lower at $1.13.
The current canary in the banking coal mine, First Republic Bank, glimpsed freedom as its share price gained 29.47% overnight to $15.77. The relief rally spilled into local banking stocks.
- CBA added 1.66% to $98.15
- NAB added 1.3% to $28.82
- Westpac added 1.28% to $21.70
- ANZ added 1.14% to $23.01.
Crude oil sector
A rebound in the price of crude oil has helped the badly beaten-up energy sector gain after plunging 13% over the past ten trading sessions.
- Beach Energy added 5.81% to $1.37
- Woodside Energy added 5.2% to $32.80
- Strike Energy added 4% to $0.39c
- Santos climbed 3.5% to $7.00.
Consumer-facing stocks have gained on hopes that the recent stress in the banking sector has been contained.
- Flight Centre added 3.14% to $18.23
- Aristocrat Leisure added 2.50% to $36.02
- Webjet climbed 2.24% to $6.86
- Myer Holdings fell 9.45% to $0.91c as it traded ex-dividend.
New Hope Coal climbed 5.64% to $5.62, building on a stunning 8.5% gain yesterday after it reported it doubled its 1H23 profit to $668.6m and would pay shareholders $0.40c in dividends.
- Mineral Resources added 2.72% to $79.59
- South32 added 1.84% to $1.16
- Fortescue added 1.13% to $21.00.
Gold stocks have fallen after the bullion price fell 2% overnight to $1941, extending falls from its $2009 blow-off type high from Monday.
- Perseus Mining fell 5.87% to $2.17
- Regis Resources fell 5.97% to $1.77
- Silver Lake Resources fell 5.4% to $1.10
- Gold Road Resources fell 5.2% to $1.56.
ASX 200 technical analysis
Providing the ASX 200 continues to hold above support 6910/00, the pullback from the February 7567 high is viewed as a countertrend (an “ABC” Elliott Wave correction), and we expect a rebound to follow.
Aware that should the ASX 200 see a sustained break below support at 6910/00, it would negate our positive bias and warn of a retest of the bottom of its 12-month range at 6410.
The AUD/USD is trading higher at .6686 ahead of tomorrow morning’s FOMC meeting, which is expected to see the Fed deliver a dovish 25bp rate hike to 4.75%-5% to provide optionality if conditions warrant a change of course.
ASX 200 daily chart
- TradingView: the figures stated are as of March 22nd, 2023. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance. This report does not contain and is not to be taken as containing any financial product advice or financial product recommendation.
This information has been prepared by IG, a trading name of IG Markets Limited. In addition to the disclaimer below, the material on this page does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. IG accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such is considered to be a marketing communication. Although we are not specifically constrained from dealing ahead of our recommendations we do not seek to take advantage of them before they are provided to our clients.
Explore the markets with our free course
Discover the range of markets you can trade on - and learn how they work - with IG Academy's online course.
Ready to trade indices?
Put the lessons in this article to use in a live account. Upgrading is quick and simple.
- Get fixed spreads from 1 point on FTSE 100 and Germany 40
- Protect your capital with risk management tools
- Trade more 24-hour markets than any other provider – 26 in total
Share IG and get rewarded
Share us, be rewarded
Earn up to $10,000 for introducing your friends to us.
Terms and conditions apply.
Live prices on most popular markets