ASX 200 afternoon report: August 3, 2023
Your ASX 200 afternoon report.
The ASX 200 trades 54 points (0.74%) lower at 7300 at 3.10 pm AEST.
Market turmoil extends from Asia to Europe and America
An ominous picture greeted traders this morning, with equity and other risk assets doused in a sea of red ink as yesterday's free fall during the Asian time zone extended into the European and American sessions.
However, worst fears have been averted for now, with the ASX 200 bravely holding near 7300 on a lack of follow-through selling as US yields and equity futures stabilised during the day.
Investors eye China's inflation data
Next week, investors will closely monitor the release of inflation data in China. Market expectations suggest a decline of -0.5% MoM in July, signaling the challenges of a stalled reopening, cautious consumer behavior, and an economy moving towards deflation for the first time since February 2021.
- Rio Tinto fell 1.86% to $113.76
- Fortescue fell 1.53% to $21.22
- BHP group fell 1.42% to $45.20
- Mineral Resources fell 1.33% to $69.22
- Link Administration fell 3.34% to $1.45
- Block (owner of Afterpay) fell 2.56% to $115.47
- Xero fell 2.43%
- Zip fell 2.17% to $0.45c
After its 16% rally in July, crude oil's price fell below $80 overnight on a bout of profit-taking.
- Crude oil's price fell below $80 overnight on a bout of profit-taking.
- Santos fell 0.95% to $7.81
- Beach Energy fell 0.92% to $1.61
- Woodside Energy fell 0.66% to $37.62
- CBA fell 1.12% to $102.30 ahead of its Full Year earnings report next Wednesday.
- NAB fell 1.07% to $27.81
- Westpac fell 0.75% to $21.82
- ANZ fell 0.87% to $15.13
On a day of few highlights, expectations that the RBA is at or close to its peak terminal rate have supported consumer-facing stocks.
- Aristocrat Leisure gained 1.23% to $40.20
- Metcash gained 1.53% to $3.65
- Treasure Wine Estates gained 0.5% to $11.43
- Coles Group added 0.44% to $18.23
ASX 200 technical analysis
Last week the ASX 200 broke through the top of a three-month range to its highest level in five months - a move exposed as a false break higher. The last false break in the ASX 200 occurred just under a month ago when it appeared to have broken to the downside, only for a robust rally to follow.
While we aren't convinced the opposite will occur this time, recent price action confirms the ASX 200 is very comfortable ping-ponging either side of 7200.
ASX 200 daily chart
- TradingView: the figures stated are as of August 3, 2023. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance. This report does not contain and is not to be taken as containing any financial product advice or financial product recommendation.
IGA, may distribute information/research produced by its respective foreign affiliates within the IG Group of companies pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the research is distributed in Singapore to a person who is not an Accredited Investor, Expert Investor or an Institutional Investor, IGA accepts legal responsibility for the contents of the report to such persons only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact IGA at 6390 5118 for matters arising from, or in connection with the information distributed.
The information/research herein is prepared by IG Asia Pte Ltd (IGA) and its foreign affiliated companies (collectively known as the IG Group) and is intended for general circulation only. It does not take into account the specific investment objectives, financial situation, or particular needs of any particular person. You should take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation, and particular needs before making a commitment to trade, including seeking advice from an independent financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment, under a separate engagement, as you deem fit.
No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently, any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Please see important Research Disclaimer.
Please also note that the information does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. Any views and opinions expressed may be changed without an update.
Live prices on most popular markets