ASX 200 afternoon report: 29th of March 2023
ASX 200 market update as of 29th of March, 1.15pm AEDT.
The ASX 200 trades 5 points higher (0.07%) at 7039 at 1.15 pm.
First Citizens' acquisition of the fallen Silicon Investment Bank on Monday has proved to be the tonic needed to calm nerves as the measure of fear on Wall Street, the VIX volatility index closed below 20 overnight – the level it was trading pre the banking crisis.
Improved risk sentiment has allowed the local market to return its focus to the latest economic data ahead of next Tuesday's RBA Board Meeting.
Yesterday's softer-than-expected retail sales data for February has been followed this morning by the release of cooler inflation data. The Monthly CPI indicator for February rose by 6.8%, lower than the 7.4% rise in January and well below the 8.4% peak of December 2022.
The lower inflation print indicates inflation peaked late last year. It increases the probability that the RBA will pause its aggressive rate hiking cycle at its Board Meeting next week – a prospect welcomed by the ASX 200 as it erased an early 0.3% loss.
Leading the index's charge into the green, the Materials Sector, after the iron ore price gained 2% overnight to $122.85.
- Fortescue added 2.33% to $21.04
- BHP added 1.44% to $45.04
- Mineral Resources added 1.02% to $81.86
- Rio Tinto added 0.90% to $115.47.
Building on its 4.14% rally yesterday, the Energy Sector has added another 1.42%.
- Woodside added 2.21% to $33.67
- Viva Energy added 1.32% to $3.08
- Beach Energy added 0.9% to $1.40
- Santos climbed 0.8% to $7.00.
The fallout from the banking crisis has prompted a large European Bank to downgrade the Australian banking sector, noting higher funding costs, competition for deposits, rising bad debts and tighter regulation.
- Bendigo Bank fell 2.62% to $8.54
- NAB fell 2.1% to $27.08
- Bank of Queensland fell 1.62% to $6.38
- Westpac fell 1.16% to $21.28
- CBA fell 0.8% to $95.29.
Takeover target Lithium miner Liontown Resources added 1.17% to $2.60.
- Galan Lithium added 5.12% to $1.08
- Pilbara Minerals added 3.77% to $4.00
- Allkem added 2.4% to $11.81.
Fellow takeover target United Malt, the subject of a $5 a share cash bid from Malteries Souffle, rose 2.44% to $4.61. The Australian market offers well-priced equities that represent value for the right buyer, looking for synergies, and access to new markets and products. There are currently nine live takeovers worth ~$60bn on the ASX. Expect more to come in the months ahead.
ASX 200 technical analysis
Tuesday's recovery in the ASX 200 aligns with our view that the ASX200 has been looking for a low. Providing it continues to hold above critical support at 6900, the pullback from the February 7567 high is viewed as a countertrend (an "ABC" Elliott Wave correction), and we expect the rally to extend initially towards 7200 before 7350.
ASX 200 daily chart
- TradingView: the figures stated are as of March 29th, 2023. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance. This report does not contain and is not to be taken as containing any financial product advice or financial product recommendation.
The information on this page does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. IG Bank S.A. accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it and as such is considered to be a marketing communication. Although we are not specifically constrained from dealing ahead of our recommendations we do not seek to take advantage of them before they are provided to our clients. See full non-independent research disclaimer.
Start trading forex today
Find opportunity on the world’s most-traded – and most-volatile – financial market
- Trade spreads from just 0.6 points on EUR/USD
- Analyse with clear, fast charts
- Speculate wherever you are with our intuitive mobile apps
See an FX opportunity?
Try a risk-free trade in your demo account, and see whether you’re onto something.
- Log in to your demo
- Take your position
- See whether your hunch pays off
See an FX opportunity?
Don’t miss your chance – upgrade to a live account to take advantage.
- Get spreads from just 0.6 points on popular pairs
- Analyse and deal seamlessly on fast, intuitive charts
- See and react to breaking news in-platform
See an FX opportunity?
Don’t miss your chance. Log in to take your position.
Live prices on most popular markets
You might be interested in…
Find out what charges your trades could incur with our transparent fee structure.
Discover why so many clients choose us, and what makes us a world-leading provider of CFDs.
Stay on top of upcoming market-moving events with our customisable economic calendar.