Notes for metals
Our metals contracts are a special form of CFD and give you exposure to changes in the price of metals.They are cash settled and cannot result in the delivery of the underlying metal.
1. a) CFDs on metal futures are quoted with reference to the equivalent expiry contract on the underlying futures market. CFDs on spot metals are quoted based on quotes in the underlying market available to us from the banks and liquidity providers with which we trade. We do not apply any weighting or biases to our pricing sources.
b) Spreads are subject to variation, especially in volatile market conditions. Our dealing spreads may change to reflect the available liquidity during different times of day. Our normal spread is shown in the table.
c) Dealing spreads may be offered as a fixed or variable amount. If variable spreads are in use, then the spread shown in this table is the amount of IG spread added to the underlying futures market spread. Any variable dealing spreads are marked with an asterisk (*).
d) We will not charge any additional commission unless we notify you in writing.
2. For guaranteed stop trades a guaranteed stop premium is charged if your guaranteed stop is triggered. The potential premium is displayed on the deal ticket, and can form part of your margin when you attach the stop. Please note that premiums are subject to change, especially going into weekends and during volatile market conditions.
3. Minimum transaction sizes usually start from one contract. Please refer to the 'Get Info' section within our trading platform to find the minimum transaction size for each market. Subject to this minimum size, transactions may be in fractions of a contract.
4. We quote spot metals 24 hours a day (except 22.15-23.00), normally from 23.00 (London time) on Sunday until 22.00 (London time) on Friday. Futures contracts are quoted until 22.15 on Fridays.
7. For spot metal transactions, funding adjustments are calculated and posted to the client's account daily. Funding adjustments are calculated based on the relevant tom-next spread, including an admin fee of 0.3% p.a. An adjustment is calculated for any position opened before 22.00 that is still open after 22.00 (London time).
8. Positions in Gold, Silver and High Grade Copper futures not already closed by the client expire automatically at the settlement price of a futures contract of the relevant metal on COMEX on our last dealing day.
Positions in Palladium and Platinum futures not already closed by the client expire automatically at the settlement price of a futures contract of the relevant metal on NYMEX on our last dealing day.
Positions in Aluminium, Copper, Lead, Nickel, Tin and Zinc futures not already closed by the client expire automatically at the settlement price of a futures contract of the relevant metal on the London Metal Exchange on our last dealing day.
The futures contract against which a futures metal is settled is designated in the name of the futures metal contract (e.g. DEC07).
9. Unless expressly agreed otherwise with IG, positions will be rolled over to a later date by default. For most positions, a client can, before the position has been automatically closed, ask for the position not to be rolled over to a later date. Rolling over a position involves closing the old position and opening a new one. We normally attempt to contact a client shortly before a position is due to expire and offer the opportunity to roll the position over. However, we cannot undertake to do this in every case, and it remains the client's responsibility to communicate their roll preferences for any position(s) before expiry.
10. Where the Gold (futures) settlement date would fall (as predicted by the rule in the table) on a Friday or on the day before a US holiday, the contract will instead settle on the previous day.
11. When you trade in a currency other than your base currency your profit or loss will be realised in that currency and will be booked to your account in that currency. As a default, we will automatically, and on a daily basis, convert any positive or negative balance on your account in a currency other than your base currency to your base currency. You may change this default at any time by calling us or via our trading platform.
12. Professional clients are exempt from regulatory limits on leverage in place for retail clients, and are able to trade on lower margins as a result. You can find out more, and check your eligibility, on our professional trading page.
13. For Spot Gold and Spot Silver the overnight funding adjustment is based on the tom-next spread including an admin fee of 0.3% per annum for main contracts and 0.8% per annum for mini contracts.