Your capital is at risk. CFDs can result in losses that exceed your initial deposit. Please ensure you fully understand the risks involved.

What documents do I need to get started?

Find all the information you need to get started here

Transfer investments

Once you've opened a Share Trading account with IG, simply download the relevant form below and return it to us.

1. Broker-sponsored stock transfer - for when you hold your shares with a broker, or in an online share trading account. Please make sure you have your Holder Identification Number (HIN) handy, it will be shown on any communications issued by your broker.

2. Issuer-sponsored transfer - for when you hold your shares with the registrar, usually as the result of an IPO, SPP or Employee Share Plan. Please make sure you have your Security Reference Number (SRN) handy, it will be shown on a holding statement issued by the registrar.

What do I need to do to deal US shares?

If you’re an individual and want to deal on US equities from any of your IG accounts, you’ll need to complete a W-8BEN form. Simply do the following:

  1. Log in to your IG account with your web browser
  2. Go to the ‘settings’ tab in My IG
  3. Select ‘Trading US shares’
  4. Answer a few questions about your status

This will complete the form electronically, and file it with us. The whole process should only take a minute or two.

Non-individuals, joint account holders and US citizens

If you are a non-individual client, joint account holder or US citizen, you’ll need to complete a specific form from the options below. Please refer to our guidance documents for instructions on each form. If you require further information, please refer to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website.


See instructions

Joint accounts W-8BEN (558KB) See note below*
Corporate accounts W-8BEN-E (243KB) Guidance
Trust accounts W-8BEN-E (243KB) Guidance
Self-managed super funds W-8BEN-E (243KB) Guidance
Individual US citizens/taxpayers W-9 (110KB) See IRS website

* Please note that joint account holders should each complete a W-8BEN form and return to us together. Do NOT disclose your TFN on these forms.

Please return a scanned copy of any completed forms to

We are required to document all holders of US securities under our obligations to the US tax authorities, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). If you want to hold US shares, we require an appropriate tax form to be completed before you trade.

As well as meeting the documentation requirements, the form may allow lower rates of withholding tax to be applied to your income from the US. Please note that by completing one of these forms, you are certifying that you are not a citizen of the US nor a US tax resident.

Terms and agreements

Our terms and agreements govern our relationship with you and all of the trades that you enter into with us. Please make sure you read and understand them before opening an account.

Related questions

Improve your skills

Become a better trader with IG Academy. Take engaging step-by-step courses, attend expert-led seminars and webinars.

Get peer support

Have your questions answered by like-minded traders and IG staff over at IG Community.