This information has been prepared by IG, a trading name of IG Markets Limited. In addition to the disclaimer below, the material on this page does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. IG accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such is considered to be a marketing communication. Although we are not specifically constrained from dealing ahead of our recommendations we do not seek to take advantage of them before they are provided to our clients. See full non-independent research disclaimer and quarterly summary.
Gold looks to test 200-DMA
Although off the lows seen yesterday, the slip below the 50-day moving average for gold still suggests the selling is continuing. Clues to this can be found in the relative strength index and moving average convergence/divergence, both of which are continuing to decline. We are now looking to another test of the 200-DMA, which held yesterday. If this level is breached then $1280 may provide support, and then beyond that we are looking at a move towards $1260.
A close back above the all-important $1300 level would be needed to suggest the selling in gold has come to an end, ideally with a turnaround in the RSI too.
Silver eyes 50-DMA to take market higher
A bounce from the 200-DMA could be in progress for silver, but it looks as if this level is holding for now. The best hope is for the rising 50-DMA to carry the market higher, since it will be a significant task for silver to retake the losses suffered yesterday. Any drop through the 200-DMA would suggest a push towards $20, the major support zone from March/April.
Brent could break $108
An attempt to break above $108 was beaten back yesterday but $107 is holding for now. Brent finds itself in some kind of purgatory between these two levels. On the hourly chart a loss of $107 would open the way to a test of the 15 July lows around $105.80 - $106. However, a rising intraday RSI and MACD suggest another attempt to break towards the 200-period MA around $107.50.
NYMEX could shift back towards $100
On an hourly chart NYMEX continues to be supported by the 200-period MA, with intraday momentum indicators pointing higher and suggesting further possible upside.
$102 does appear to be holding, but a close above the 20-DMA is the real sign that is needed before we can expect a rise back in the direction of $103. If $102 fails to hold up the price then the outlook shifts back towards another test of the $100 level.