How to download MT4
- Create an account
- For a demo MT4 account, visit our MT4 demo account creation page
- Once you have an account, open My IG
- Click on ‘add an account’ at the bottom right of the screen
- Select an MT4 forex account
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the download process.
If you have trouble logging in, check our MT4 help and support area.
How to Install MT4 on Windows
Once you’ve started the download process, the steps to install MT4 are different depending on which device you want to install MT4 on. Here’s how to install MT4 on Windows:
1. Create a trading account with your preferred provider
2. Follow this link to download MT4
3. Click on the pop-up window in the bottom left of your screen
4. Select ‘run’ and follow the instructions in the install wizard popup
How to install MT4 on Mac
MT4 has been designed to be used on a PC. This is because it uses a .NET framework, which is not supported on Mac. With that being said, there are methods that you can use to launch MT4 on a Mac, such as using a VPS or third-party software available directly from the MetaTrader 4 website.
Before going ahead and installing MT4 on a Mac, you should research your chosen method carefully. This is because the process may be unstable and could cause damage to your computer. Please remember that non-official websites which promise to show you how to install MT4 on a Mac could be infected with malware.
How to install MT4 on mobile
You can also download MT4 on mobile for Android devices. Here’s how:
How to install MT4 for Android
- Visit the Google Play app store
- Type in ‘MetaTrader 4’
- Select the MetaTrader 4 app
- Click ‘install’
- Open the MT4 app on your Android device and sign in with your IG account
What are the MT4 system requirements?
There are some system requirements for using the MT4 platform. Below you’ll find a table with the minimum and recommended system requirements to install and run MT4 on your computer.
|MT4||Minimum requirements||Recommended requirements|
|Operating system||Windows server 2012 RS Standard x64||Windows server 2016 standard x64|
|CPU||Intel i7 4xxx series quad-core or higher||Intel Xeon E3, E5 series quad-core or higher|
|HDD||RAID-1 array with 2x1 TB SATA HDDS||RAID-1 array with two 480GB SSDs|
|Monitor resolution||1280x800||1280x800 or more|
|Network||100 Mbit/s Ethernet with 10Mbit/s bandwidth||100 Mbit/s Ethernet with 50Mbit/s bandwidth|
How do I update MT4?
MT4 updates automatically from within the terminal. The update system is always enabled, and it cannot be disabled, which means that you are always using the newest version of MT4.