This information has been prepared by IG, a trading name of IG Markets Limited. In addition to the disclaimer below, the material on this page does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. IG accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such is considered to be a marketing communication. Although we are not specifically constrained from dealing ahead of our recommendations we do not seek to take advantage of them before they are provided to our clients. See full non-independent research disclaimer and quarterly summary.
The recent rise in commodity prices over the past few months has provided some support to the local economy. The slight improvement in economic activity and ongoing debate about the “financial stability concerns” being generated by house price inflation in Auckland and other regions appeared to move them to a hold.
But the major concern for the RBNZ continues to be worryingly low inflation. We thought this may have overridden other concerns and led them to cut again today (after a pause at their last meeting), but it looks like the thinking is to wait until 2Q CPI comes out on 18 July and then cut in August. NZ monthly food prices have been lifting a little of late, but headline inflation in 2Q is still set to be well below 1%, providing ample evidence for another rate cut.
The Kiwi dollar has already rallied 5.8% since 30 May, although much of this has been driven by collapsing expectations for further US interest rate increases. Today’s post-meeting surge has seen it break through key resistance at the US$0.7050 level and hit its highest level since 11 June 2015. If US data continues to disappoint, the Kiwi could continue to push higher in the near term. However, risks to the downside are clearly the potential for another RBNZ rate cut in August or a run of better-than expected US data.
The recent strength in the Kiwi dollar does not bode well for 2Q CPI, and the statement noted that “this is holding down tradables inflation”. As you can see in the chart, tradables inflation has remained in outright deflation since mid-2014.