Established in 1974
185,800 clients worldwide
Over 15,000 markets

FOMC minutes fail to clarify stance

A stable start to the day for both EUR/USD and GBP/USD merely hides the indecision surrounding interest rate decisions.

Euro and US dollar notes
Source: Bloomberg

Euro traders await Greek debt deadline

Once again Greece is the focus of the eurozone as expectations are high that it will be able to meet its debt repayments today. Yesterday saw the Greek government raise €1.14 billion from the sale of short-dated sovereign debt, and this should be more than enough to ensure it is able to meet its €460 million repayment to the International Monetary Fund.

Cynics would of course point out that if you were to default in repaying debt, the last resort should be defaulting to the IMF. Suffice to say this is another deadline that Syriza has managed to avoid at the last minute.

A week ago EUR/USD flirted with breaking above the $1.100 level, and we thought that it was merely a better opportunity to sell into. This current squeeze lower looks far from being the complete move and hanging onto the short positions could still offer further rewards.

Spot FX EUR/USD chart

FOMC comments driving GBP/USD price action

Today the Bank of England will announce its latest interest rate decision along with the asset purchasing scheme. Considering this is the last announcement that we will see before a general election it is highly unlikely we will see any change.

At present the IG binaries on the election are pointing towards a Labour minority government as the most likely outcome from these elections. Considering the destabilising effect such a weak base for government would create and the high chance of a further election within the next couple of years, it is hard to believe that GBP/USD has fully factored in the consequences of this.

The global macro issues surrounding the Federal Open Market Committee’s inability to reach a consensus still looks to be driving the price action.

Will the US raise interest rates in June, July or later? Whatever the decision currency markets are still factoring in a rise and the UK remains some way off even having that discussion let alone agreeing a date for a move. We would remain in our short positions and only a sustained break above the $1.500 level would trigger a re-think.

Spot FX GBP/USD chart

The information on this page does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. IG Bank S.A. accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it and as such is considered to be a marketing communication.

Find articles by analysts